Day 1: Huaraz – Musho – Huascaran Base Camp
You are picked up in your hotel and we will start driving along the Callejon de Huaylas to Mancos, from here we travel to the East side to Musho. Here we load our donkeys and hike up to the Base Camp of Huascaran (4700m).
Driving time: 2.5 hs. / Hiking time: 5 hs.
Day 2: Base Camp – Camp 1
The climb from base camp sees us climb a six meter rock step followed by a traverse across a series of ledges until arriving at the moraine camp which is located about 200-meters from the edge of the glacier. The climb takes from one and half to two hours.
From the moraine camp there are several trails along the slabs taking us to the edge of the glacier in around half an hour. The glacier is easy to navigate and the crevasses are easy to spot but we will rope up just in case of any hidden ones. The campsite 1 is in a safe area with splendid views to different mountains around.
Climbing time: 6 hs.
Day 3: Camp 1 – Camp 2
From Camp 1 we ascend for roughly 200-meters to an area known as the Candeletta and then traverse left to the col which is called the Garganta. This is where we place our Camp 2 (5950m) and this campsite can be cold and windy.
Climbing time: 5 hs.
Day 4: Camp 2 – Huascaran Summit – Camp 2
Summit day involves an early alpine start at 3:00 am where we work our way up 45-50 degree slopes for around 250 meters and then the angle lessens with a walk to the summit. Along this route we will enjoy splendid views of different mountains around us and will enjoy the sunrise in the Cordillera Blanca. We arrive to the Summit (6768m) around 10:00am. After staying a few minutes to enjoy the views and take pictures we will start our descent to Camp 2 for about 4 hours. We arrive at the camp around 3:00pm.
Climbing time: 7 hs.
Day 5: Camp 2 – Base Camp
Early in the morning we start going down to the Base Camp, after going down 2 hours we arrive to the Moraine Camp, where we have lunch. After lunch we continue going down to the Base Camp (3800m).
Hiking time: 4 hs.
Day 6 – Base Camp – Back to Huaraz
Late in the morning we descend to Musho for about 3 hours, where our transport is waiting. We arrive to Huaraz around 4 pm.
Hiking time: 3 hs. / Driving time: 2.5 hs.
What is included
- Transport: From Huaraz to the starting point of your activity, and from the finishing point of your activity back to Huaraz. We use prived transport, minivans, and other types of cars, depending on the size of the group.
- Guide: Qualified and experienced mountain guide who speaks Spanish and basic English.
- Cook: A professional cook who is trained to prepare healthy dishes in a hygienic manner.
- Donkey driver: In charge of loading the donkeys, looking after them and guiding them.
- Donkeys: The number of donkeys provided depends on the size of the group. Donkeys carry tents, food, climbing rope up to Base Camp and back, but you need to carry your own personal gear.
- Food: Breakfast, packed lunch and dinner.
- Equipment: Good quality high mountain tent, sleeping mattress, ropes, carabiners, dining tent (depending on group size), table and chairs, first aid kit, cooking stove, dishes and cooking utensils.
- Entrances fee: for the national park.
What is not included
First breakfast, last dinner, soft drinks or alcoholic beverages, medical treatment, travel insurance, tips, additional expenses as a result of leaving the expedition early, additional expenses as a result of an emergency rescue or evacuation, bottled wáter.
- Mountain backpack (40 liters)
- Sleeping bag (-25 C)
- Walking sticks if you have knee problems
- Plastic mountain boots
- Ice axe
- Head torch (with spare batteries)
- Sun protection: sunscreen (factor 40 minimum), hat, sunglasses
- Well-worn in hiking boots or trekking shoes
- Comfortable clothes: t-shirts (quick dry or merino wool recommended), trekking trousers or leggings, sweater, woolen trekking socks, underwear, long thermal underwear, fleece, gloves, hat
- Down jacket
- Waterproof jacket and trousers (Gore-Tex recommended)
- Gore-Tex gloves
- Water bottle and water purification pills
- Toilet paper, personal toiletries, small towel
- Extra snacks and money
Missing something? We can provide you with everything you need for a great days expeditions, Please check each trip for detailed pricing information or contact us for a customized trip and you can fully enjoy!!