Day 1: Laguna Willcacocha
We leave Huaraz and drive southwards along the main road. Around 10 minutes later, we reach the trailhead at Chiwipampa. Almost immediately, the trail starts ascending steeply towards the village of Santa Cruz. We walk on upwards past traditional Quechua homes and fields where the local people cultivate potatoes, wheat, beans and corn. After two hours of hiking, we reach the picturesque lake and are granted magnificent views of the Cordillera Blanca. A rapid descent brings us back to the main road from where we catch our transport back to Huaraz.
Day 2: Laguna 69
You are picked up in your hotel and we drive north following the course of the Rio Santa that divides the Cordillera Blanca in the east and the Cordillera Negra in the west. We pass traditional Andean towns and enjoy the magnificent view of the high peaks of the Cordillera Blanca range including Huascaran (6768m), Peru’s highest mountain. As we enter the Huascaran National Park, we continue our drive up this beautiful valley. Our first stop is at Llanganuco lake where we have breakfast. After another 20 minutes of driving our bus stops and we start hiking up to the Laguna 69. This hike will take about 3 hours of steep ascending. After having lunch at the lake we hike back down the same trail. Our bus brings us back to Huaraz.
Day 3: Laguna Churup
We drive 1 hour from Huaraz to Pitec (3850m) passing through the traditional villages of Unchus and Llupa. After entering the national park we start ascending by following the path over a long ridge. The final 100m to the lake scrambling up a steep rock gully which some people may find difficult. About 5 to 6 hours to walk from Pitec to the lake and return.
What is included
- Transport: From Huaraz to the starting point of your activity, and from the finishing point of your activity back to Huaraz. We use prived transport, minivans, and other types of cars, depending on the size of the group.
- Guide: Qualified and experienced mountain guide who speaks Spanish and basic English.
What is not included
10 Soles per day for the National Park, lunch and snacks, soft drinks or alcoholic beverages, medical treatment, travel insurance, tips, additional expenses as a result of leaving the trip early, additional expenses as a result of an emergency rescue or evacuation.
- Small daypack
- Walking sticks if you have knee problems
- Sun protection: sunscreen (factor 40 minimum), hat, sunglasses
- Well-worn in hiking boots or trekking shoes
- Comfortable clothes: t-shirts (quick dry or merino wool recommended), trekking trousers or leggings, fleece
- Waterproof jacket and trousers / or rain poncho
- Water bottle, lunch and snacks
- Toilet paper
Missing something? We can provide you with everything you need for a great days expeditions, Please check each trip for detailed pricing information or contact us for a customized trip and you can fully enjoy!!