Access to both Pisco and Yanapaccha is from Llanganuco in the Demanda Valley where the Santa Cruz trek finishes, minimizing the amount of travel needed. Pisco is an achievable climb for anyone who is well acclimatized and fit. Although Pisco is a beginner suitable peak, it is also a rewarding climb for experienced climbers. The climb is physically demanding and you do need to have good fitness and be strong. Yanapaccha is situated in the Llanganuco Valley adjacent to Pisco, but is much less well known and less frequented by climbers. It is a moderately difficult climb with some steep sections and is not suitable for first time climbers, but an ideal peak for experienced climbers or novice climbers who have received instruction and are looking to extend their climbing level..
Day 1: Huaraz – Cashapampa – Llamacorral
Drive from Huaraz to Cashapampa (2800m). We meet our donkey drivers, load all equipment onto donkeys and start trekking. We hike continuously upwards following the Santa Cruz river, first we are in a narrow canyon and then after lunch the country opens up into a wider valley and we start to see the snow covered peaks. We camp in an open field near the river at Llamacorral (3750m).
Driving time: 3 hs. / Hiking time: 5 hs.
Day 2: Llamacorral – Taullipampa
An easier day hiking in a wide open valley. We pass by two small lakes and then we have our first glimpse of the famous Alpamayo peak. We camp at Taullipampa (4250m), a beautiful campsite surrounded by towering peaks and nestled near the bottom of Punta Union Pass. 4 hours.
Hiking time: 4 hs.
Day 3: Taullipampa – Punta Union Pass – Paria
Climb steadily up for 2 to 3 hours to the pass Punta Union (4750m) then descend past a small alpine lake. Continue the descent towards the Huaripampa Valley before leaving the main trail and traversing through low bush to our camp in a secluded valley away from the main trail at Paria (3850m).
Hiking time: 7 hs.
Day 4: Paria – Vaqueria – Portachuelo Pass – Cabollapampa
At first we walk easily down the Huaripampa Valley passing through farming settlements. Then we climb to the road at Vaqueria where our private vehicle will be waiting to drive us over the 4850m Portachuelo Pass to our camp at Cebollapampa (3850m).
Hiking time: 4 hs. / Driving time: 2 hs.
Day 5: Cabollapampa – Pisco Base Camp
From Cebollapampa we hike up on a good path to the Base Camp of Pisco (4500m). Before going to sleep early, we have time left to check our climbing equipment and get ready for the next day.
Hiking time: 2.5 hs.
Day 6: Pisco Base Camp – Summit - Pisco Base Camp
Early in the morning at 01:00 am we start hiking up around 3.5 hours over rocky path to get the glacier. Here we put our climbing equipment on to start climbing up to the summit. After climbing up for about 1 hour we get to a wall of 40m and 50° of difficulty. We continue 2.5 hours more and reach the summit (5750m). We enjoy the nice views of different mountains such as: Artesonraju, Alpamayo, Caraz, Huascaran, Chopicalqui, Yanapaccha, Chacraraju, Brogui, Huandoys and a splendid turquoise lake 69 lake. After a few minutes we go back down to the Base Camp (4500m).
Day 7: Pisco Base Camp – Yanapaccha Morena Camp
Our vehicle arrives at Cebollapampa with fresh supplies and we take a ride up the road a hairpin bend in the road called the “Curva” (4580m). From here we hike to Yanapaccha Morena Camp for about 3 hours until we reach the campsite (5000m).
Day 8: Yanapaccha Morena Camp – Summit - Morena Camp – Huaraz
The initial ascent onto the glacier is usually a short steep ice climb and then there is more gentle terrain on the glacier. We negotiate crevasse fields to arrive at the west face of Yanapaccha which we climb to the summit. The last 200m to reach the summit is steep 65 deg. About 3 to 4 rappels are required during the descent. Return back to Morena Camp and then walk back the same path back to the road where our private vehicle will be waiting for us and we return back to Huaraz.
Stay at Cebollapampa Camp near LLanganuco Lakes an extra day for rest and delicious meals after climbing Pisco and departing for Yanapaccha.
What is included
- Transport: From Huaraz to the starting point of your activity, and from the finishing point of your activity back to Huaraz. We use prived transport, minivans, and other types of cars, depending on the size of the group.
- Guide: Qualified and experienced mountain guide who speaks Spanish and basic English.
- Cook: A professional cook who is trained to prepare healthy dishes in a hygienic manner.
- Donkey driver: In charge of loading the donkeys, looking after them and guiding them.
- Donkeys: The number of donkeys provided depends on the size of the group. Donkeys carry equipment to Base Camp and back but you need to carry your own personal gear.
- Food: Breakfast, packed lunch and dinner.
- Equipment: Good quality high mountain tent, sleeping mattress, ropes, carabiners, dining tent (depending on group size), table and chairs, toilet tent, first aid kit, cooking stove, dishes and cooking utensils.
- Entrances fee: for the national park.
What is not included
First breakfast, last dinner, soft drinks or alcoholic beverages, medical treatment, travel insurance, tips, additional expenses as a result of leaving the trek early, additional expenses as a result of an emergency rescue or evacuation, bottled water (you drink water from the river).
- Mountain backpack (40 Litres)
- Sleeping bag (-25 C)
- Walking sticks if you have knee problems
- Plastic mountain boots
- Ice axe
- Head torch (with spare batteries)
- Sun protection: sunscreen (factor 40 minimum), hat, sunglasses
- Well-worn in hiking boots or trekking shoes
- Comfortable clothes: t-shirts (quick dry or merino wool recommended), trekking trousers or leggings, sweater, woolen trekking socks, underwear, long thermal underwear, fleece, gloves, hat
- Down jacket
- Waterproof jacket and trousers (Gore-Tex recommended)
- Gore-Tex gloves
- Water bottle and water purification pills
- Toilet paper, personal toiletries, small towel
- Extra snacks and money
Missing something? We can provide you with everything you need for a great days expeditions, Please check each trip for detailed pricing information or contact us for a customized trip and you can fully enjoy!!