The highlight of the visit is the breath-taking panoramas from a hillock by the lake, with superb views of the Cordillera Blanca. This spectacular view of the White Range is one of the best in the region. The lake is located only 10km from Huaraz. It is an ideal first acclimatization hike.
We leave Huaraz and drive southwards along the main road. Around 10 minutes later, we reach the trailhead at Chiwipampa. Almost immediately, the trail starts ascending steeply towards the village of Santa Cruz. We walk on upwards past traditional Quechua homes and fields where the local people cultivate potatoes, wheat, beans and corn. After two hours of hiking, we reach the picturesque lake and are granted magnificent views of the Cordillera Blanca. A rapid descent brings us back to the main road from where we catch our transport back to Huaraz.
What is included
- Transport: From Huaraz to the starting point of your activity, and from the finishing point of your activity back to Huaraz. We use prived transport, minivans, and other types of cars, depending on the size of the group.
- Guide: Qualified and experienced mountain guide who speaks Spanish and basic English.
What is not included
Meals and snacks, soft drinks or water, medical treatment, travel insurance, tips, additional expenses as a result of leaving the trek early, additional expenses as a result of an emergency rescue or evacuation, toilet paper
- Small daypack
- Walking sticks if you have knee problems
- Sun protection: sunscreen (factor 40 minimum), hat, sunglasses
- Well-worn in hiking boots or trekking shoes
- Comfortable clothes: t-shirts (quick dry or merino wool recommended), trekking trousers or leggings, fleece
- Waterproof jacket and trousers / or rain poncho
- Water bottle, lunch and snacks
- Toilet paper
Missing something? We can provide you with everything you need for a great days expeditions, Please check each trip for detailed pricing information or contact us for a customized trip and you can fully enjoy!!